Mollie Molesworth Updates

After a couple of quiet years, things are beginning to happen again with Mollie Molesworth. (Click here for more about Mollie.) We (meaning my family and I) are beginning to plan for an exhibition of her work in the summer of 2016, which will also give me a welcome excuse to go home. By my reckoning, this will be the first show devoted to Mollie's work since October 1930, when she exhibited at Walker's Galleries, New Bond Street, London. Since I may well end up writing something to go along with this exhibition, I decided to create some other excuses to think about her life and work. These things will, I hope, feed off each other. So I've just written a paper proposal on Mollie for the next SECAC conference, which will be taking place in Pittsburgh this October. I submitted my proposal to a panel that seems tailor-made for Mollie: "Transnational Ambitions: Women Artists in Europe and America, 1865-1945." It's hard to predict how people will react to a pitch about an "unknown" artist, so fingers crossed. And on that topic, kudos goes to the Mississippi University for Women, my university's neighbouring institution. They approached me early in the semester about contributing to their Diane Legan Howard Art History Lecture Series. I immediately accepted and then we began to bandy possible subjects back and forth. Many of the usual suspects were among the names I mentioned: Manet, C├ęzanne, Gauguin, Caillebotte, and Virginia Woolf. But I tossed out Mollie's name, too, and was very happy that they took the risk and let me talk about her. Here I am in full lecturing mode. (For more about the talk, click here.)
    Lecturing at the Mississippi University for Women, 16 April 2015

Lecturing at the Mississippi University for Women, 16 April 2015 (photo by Megan Bean)

This must be the first lecture that's been given in the States about Mollie. I trust it won't be the last.